Saturday 28 January 2012

Dining Room......Sidebar

While on the path to the new Dining Room, which we are now calling the Martini Lounge, I decided to tackle a reupholstery job.  I have had 2 Bergere Chairs for 13 years, never really loved them, and now have the chance to turn them into something fabulous.



The 2 removable cushions are going to be covered by a Professional, but I am going to take on the rest.



Removing the back panel and small foam inserts was not fun but not difficult.  What was difficult, however, was the removal of about a thousand staples per chair.  Lucily I purchased a little tool at my local Lee Valley that helped with the job.  Nonetheless, I had bleeding knuckles and very red, sore hands after.  The removal of the backing, armrest and piping along the chair base took about 4 hours!!


Keeping the original seat base seemed like a good idea.  I will just cover it with fabric.  The little foam armrests were also in good shape so I just removed the fabric on top of them.


After a light sanding, the chairs were primed.



First coat of black paint.

YES  YES  The painting looks a bit messy but I didn't care!  All surfaces that needed to be  black and glossy are just that.  Any black paint on the fabric will be covered shortly!!

No comments:

Post a Comment